Skip to content
(Approved agencies include CFI-DVS, CIAC, ACCESS, LUNA, Monsoon, Nissa)
- FreeStore volunteers will move the items for Des Moines area clients into a FreeStore truck at the warehouse and will then move the items into their new home. The client can bring their own truck and help. Non-Des Moines area clients will need to provide their own truck and help.
- The warehouse loading area is next to the Jujitsu Academy, which is at 841 11th St in Des Moines: east on Crocker from Keo Way, then south on 11th Street. We are the second building in the block.
- It is the responsibility of the agency’s representative to assure that the client treats the volunteers with respect. We reserve the right to refuse to serve any family who does not treat the FreeStore volunteer (the Greeter) with respect.
- We serve all qualified clients and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation or physical or mental disability.
- We may limit the number of times per month an agency may send us clients.
- We limit our services to advocates/agencies/ churches that have ongoing relationships with the families they want to sponsor. We reserve the right to refuse service to any person, advocate, or agency we feel does not meet the intent of our requirements.
- Normally, only the advocate and the client are allowed to go “shopping” with the Greeter. Other helpers are to remain in the front of the warehouse except when moving/loading furniture. We will only give items to a family who already has a house, condo, duplex, apartment, etc. We DO NOT give items that will be moved into a temporary place until the family has found housing.
- With few exceptions, clients are only allowed to use the FreeStore once. If a second trip is allowed it cannot be within 5 years of the first service or through an exception made by the advocate with the FreeStore.
- Finally, the Greeter is a volunteer and is at the warehouse to serve the advocate and client by appointment. The client must notify the advocate or Greeter in advance if the appointment cannot be met. If a client cancels twice, her/his request may not be served.