Help us provide the basic home essentials to more than 250 families every year. Items that no longer have meaning to you can mean the world to a child, family, or individual in need.
Our Quality Standard
- Quality, gently used and new items accepted.
- All items must be clean and in good working condition (fully-functioning).
- Free of rips, stains and/or pet hair.
- All staff and volunteers have the right to refuse items that do not meet our quality standard.
- Not sure if you should donate an item? Ask yourself if you would feel comfortable giving it to a friend or family member.
List Of Things We Accept And Do Not Accept
How To Donate
We pick up in the Des Moines metro area, which includes Des Moines and its surrounding cities as well as: Waukee, Johnston, Grimes, Norwalk, Ankeny, Altoona, Pleasant Hill, and Polk City. We do NOT pickup in Adel, Van Meter, Granger, Madrid, Carlisle or Indianola. Schedule a pick-up by calling 515-282-3733 and following the prompts to leave a message. We pick up mornings on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday [roughly 9am - 12 noon].
The Warehouse is open 9am - 11am on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday and you can drop off items when we are open. We will have volunteers available to help unload and to give you a receipt for your taxes. Please do not leave items outside the Warehouse.
You have 2 options to get your donations to the FreeStore:
- Schedule a home pickup. Our process for scheduling home pickups is as follows:
- Click HERE to submit an online furniture donation pickup request
- Or you can call 515-282-3733 and leave a message stating:
- Your name
- Your address, city and zip code
- Your phone number
- A list of items to be donated.
- A scheduler will call you back within 48 hours to schedule a day for your pick-up.
- The pickup driver will call you the day before your scheduled pick-up to give you a window of time for the pickup.
- The pickup takes place and a donation receipt is provided.
- Drop off at our warehouse located at 834 10th Street Des Moines, IA. (Note the entrance is on 11th Street.) Directions to warehouse (link to map).
Note: The FreeStore is closed on all major holidays. Please call or check online if we are open.
Entrance is on 11th Street
(back side of 834 10th street)