FreeStore Guidelines for Agencies Paying a Fee
- A check on the agency check head (the money must come from the agency/church and not the client) is due from the advocate upon arrival at the warehouse. (We do not accept cash!) The cost is $70 for a 1-2 person family; $85 for a 3-4 person family, $110 for a family of 5-6, $160 for a family of 7-8, and $210 for a family of 9-10. It costs the FreeStore approximately $300 to serve a family of 4 and the family usually takes about $2500 worth of good-used furniture.
- FreeStore volunteers move the items into a FreeStore truck and move them to the curb at their address. The client is then responsible for moving selected items from the curb into their home. It takes at least 2 strong people to move the items. We will not leave items at the curb, if the driver determines help is not sufficient to move items into the home, they are to return the truck with all items back to the warehouse. OR, the client can bring their own truck and help.
- The warehouse loading area is next to the Jujitsu Academy, which is at 841 11th St in Des Moines: east on Crocker from Keo Way, then south on 11th Street. We are the second building.
- It is the responsibility of the agency’s representative to assure that the client treats the volunteers with respect. The advocate or someone from their agency must come with the client. We reserve the right to refuse to serve any family who does not treat the FreeStore volunteer (the Greeter) with respect.
- We serve all qualified clients and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation or physical or mental disability.
- We may limit the number of times per month an agency may send us clients.
- We limit our services to advocates/agencies/ churches that have ongoing relationships with the families they want to sponsor. We reserve the right to refuse service to any person, advocate, or agency we feel does not meet the intent of our requirements.
- Normally, only the advocate and the client are allowed to go “shopping” with the Greeter. Other helpers are to remain in the front of the warehouse except when moving/loading furniture. We will only give items to a family who already has a house, condo, duplex, apartment, etc. We DO NOT give items that will be moved into a temporary place until the family has found housing.
- With few exceptions, clients are only allowed to use the FreeStore once. If a second trip is allowed it cannot be within 5 years of the first service.
- Finally, the Greeter is a volunteer and is at the warehouse to serve the advocate and client by appointment. The client must notify the advocate or Greeter in advance if the appointment cannot be met. If a client cancels twice, her/his request may not be served.
Interactive Client form